Sueños de los Peregrinos (Dreams of the Pilgrims) - Updated Information/Location/Times
Sunday, November 16, 2008 1:00 PM - 5:00 PM
at Hilbert Circle Theatre
, 45 Monument Circle, Indianapolis, IN 46204-2919
Demonstration, Discussion, Hands-on Activity, Performance, Reception, Worship Service
Adults of all ages, Children (elementary school), Youth (middle/high school)
Gabriela Frank, Zoila Manzanares
What roles do music, faith, and culture play in the transition of Latino immigrants? Is faith an asset or burden? What musical traditions do they want their children to embrace? Explore these and other questions in an interactive series of events that includes a worship service, food and dancing, performances by local musicians, a presentation by composer Gabriela Frank, and the opportunity to create your own visual interpretations.
Participate in one or all - all sessions occur at Christ Church Cathedral, 55 Monument Circle
- Bilingual Worship Service - Begin with a Hispanic worship service led by Rev. Zoila Manzanares, prompting people to think about the roles that faith, heritage, and music play during major life transitions (1:00 p.m., Sanctuary).
- Reception - After the service, enjoy a reception of food from various Latino cultures and music by local mariachi band Sol Jalisciense (2:15 p.m., Parish Hall).
- Reflecting the Sueños de los Peregrinos - Composer Gabriela Frank, hailed as representing “the next generation of American composers,” will then talk about her new work, Sueños de los Peregrinos. Written for orchestra and bilingual narration, the music is inspired by stories from the Indianapolis Latino community. Responding to audience conversation on the role of music in their lives, she will also improvise live on the piano (3:00 p.m., Sanctuary). Children's activities will also be taking place.
- Symphony on the Move: Homelands Near and Far - Listen to a string quartet from the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra share aspects of their heritage and its influence on their music-making (3:50 p.m., Sanctuary). Children's activities will also be taking place.
- Creating the Dream Trees - The Theatre of Inclusion has created "Dream Trees" that reflect how the beauty and significance of a community expands and takes root as the hopes and aspirations of its diverse people are realized. Add your dreams to the trees that will be displayed at the premier of Ms. Frank’s composition in February (4:35 p.m., Lawn (weather permitting) or Parish Hall).
Spanish/English translators will be available and programs will be printed in both Spanish and English.
Admission is free. Presented by Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra, Christ Church Cathedral, and Theatre of Inclusion. Questions? Call 317-231-6752 or e-mail boutland@IndianapolisSymphony.org.